Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Just a quick note (for once!)

I just wanted to pass on a bit of news before hitting the hay tonight ... yesterday, I took another step toward my competing in my first triathlon - I picked up a really skookum pair of Nike bicycle shoes, and a set of Shimano SPD clipless pedals. The folks at Fort St Cycle (where I bought my bike about a year ago) were a tremendous help, assisting me in choosing the gear, then installing it on no notice in under an hour! Then, they set me up on a wind-trainer so I could get the hang of "unclipping" without having to endure the pain and humiliation of falling over on a busy street corner. It took a few tries (let's face it - I'm not always a fast learner!) but I soon got the hang of it. The hardest part for me was figuring out how to "clip in" ... getting out proved to be much easier.

Over the past 6 months or so, I've been considering going "clipless", and I've picked the brains of any cyclist I could get to talk to me. They all told me the same thing - you'll be amazed at the difference it will make to your riding (instantly!), and you'll wonder why you waited so long to get them. I gotta tell ya - everyone was totally correct - I just can't get over what a difference it makes! Admittedly, my longest trek since yesterday has only been 5K, so I suppose I should wait until I've had the chance to really hit the road before declaring them an absolute success. Nevertheless, I'm very pleased with how they feel, and with how quickly I am adapting to them. Stay tuned for further updates!

One last quick note - I want to give a shout out to Pano at Trainharder.com ... he was kind enough to add my blog to his site - apparently at least one person other than me has read my blog after all! There is a TON of material on his site, so if you're looking for tips, tricks, or stories, go check it out!


Alas, that is all for this evening ... 'twas an early morning on the bus today, and the alarm clock isn't gonna care if I stay up all night blogging! Until next time, thanx for stopping by :-)

No comments: