Monday, March 26, 2012

The Next "New" Beginning ...

Well, if anyone still reads this thing, they're in for a surprise ... almost 2 years between posts - betchy'all thought I was never coming back ;-)

If you tuned in for a running or other endurance sport update, I must warn you - you're likely to navigate away from this page in disgust (ugh!) or horror (Aaaahhhh!!) or just plain boredom (*YAWN*) cuz I didn't return to cyberspce in order to wax loquacious on any of these (fine) subjects.

This blog has definitely changed its focus, as has its somewhat reticent author ...

Just under 2 years ago, (pretty much right after I stopped trying to maintain this blog) I "discovered" the wonderful, exciting and highly addictive world of the dramatic arts - especially musical theatre and opera ... no, seriously! I mean it!!! I'm so H-O-O-K-E-D!!!! Can you even believe what you're reading? From endurance athelete to opera singer?? Really???? How does that happen?!? Read on, my friend(s), read on ... okay, finish laughing first, then read on ... ;-)

I hardly know where to begin ... well at the beginning makes the most sense, doesn't it ... the problem is that there's so much to tell, and I don't think anyone wants to read a 2000-word opus entitled, "How Scott Crinson Found Himself on the Stage". *sigh* Lemme try to hit the highlights ...

I had been singing tenor with a community choir called "Spirit Rising" for a couple of seasons when I got wind of auditions coming up for a production of "Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory". Tanisha, my daughter, wanted to audition for the role of Veruca Salt (one of the spoiled-rotten bratty kids). Michelle encouraged me to audition as well. I wasn't too sure Tanisha would "approve" of doing a show with her Dad, but to my surprise, she loved the idea. I originally planned to auditon for the role of Mr. Salt (Veruca's on-stage father) - up to the day of the audition, that was still my plan. Tanisha, Michelle and some friends from the choir were insistent that I should go out for the role of Wonka instead. I showed up at the audition and asked to read for the part - in hindsight, I'm so very glad they (the Four Seasons Musical Theatre production team) allowed me to do so ... much to my surprise, they offered me the role (due in a large part, I think, to my ability to be "creepy" ... think the Gene Wilder version, as opposed to Johnny Depp). By the time we opened in late October, I was starting to feel like I'd found a new home ... call it my niche ;-) Little did I know how "deep" that niche was gonna turn out to be!

What say we leave it there for tonight - it IS getting late for me (on a non-show, non-rehearsal night that is) ... if I've learned anything in the last two years, it's this: never give away the ending of the story in the first act ... otherwise, why would the audience come back after intermission?

I do have a busy week coming up (three rehearsals and two shows leading up to Sunday afternoon) so I cannot guarantee how long this particular "intermission" will last - certainly not 2 years, and likely less than 7 days.

In the meantime ... I'm grateful for anyone who reads my prose - thank you for showing up. Now go stretch your legs, read over your program, maybe get a drink at the (overpriced!) concession, and them c'mon back for the second act ;-) See you soon!!

2 comments:

Lis said...

What a wonderful description of how you found your niche! Many people go through their whole life never "finding" what they are looking for exactly. Being an open door to adventure and willing to risk the craziness to expose the character beneath must be very liberating. I think Tanisha and Michelle must be very proud of you as you are them. Best Wishes with the new (well not totally new) adventure. May your curtain always rise and the applause never end but more importantly may you always enjoy what brings you the most happiness!

Lis

jacquie said...

so wonderful to hear that you have found a like in Musical theatre. My eldest son has had the theatre bug for a long time now. He is following his dream and has become a memeber of the Queensville Players Theatre and is acting in his first real on stage theatre company. I love theatre, musical theatre and singing. I say follow your heart, enjoy and discover the new you!! congrats on the new path