Monday, April 2, 2012

The Next New Beginning ... Act II

A few of the overhead spotlights flash on and off, and the oh-so-polite "ding-dong" can be heard over the murmur of the guests in the lobby ... intermission is coming to a close. The crowd finds its way slowly back into the auditorium ... in a few more minutes, the stage manager will cue the house lights down, and the curtain will rise on the second act ...

... and so begins the continuation of my last post ... by the time the final curtain closed on "Willy Wonka" at the end of October 2010, I knew that I was hooked ... I also discovered that I am extremely susceptible to post-show depression. As I understand it, any of you reading this post who have invested heavily of yourselves into a show will identify, to some extent, with my "condition" ... it's actually quite similar to how you might feel when you come home from a really awesome vacation ... a kind-of "let-down" if you will. When "Wonka" wrapped up, I hit the skids kinda hard for a little while there. Friends of mine with far more experience (and intelligence!) suggested that the best way to avoid the "post-show blues" was to always be involved in a show - it seemed like such good advice at the time ... but wait, I'm getting ahead of myself here ...

Shortly before Christmas, my friend Pauline called me up, and said she had heard that the Victoria Gilbert and Sullivan Society were having an open casting call for the role of Nanki-Poo in "The Mikado". At the time, I wasn't familiar with the work, the composers, or even the Society ... little did I know how indelible an imprint this Company would have on me as a performer! I threw my name into the proverbial audition hat, and the producer sent me a copy of the audition song ... "A Wandering Minstrel, I". With the help of my good friend Sylvia Goodwin, I "learned" (in quotes for a very good reason) the piece and showed up for the audition. I sang the song (as best I could) and did a short cold read for the part. I really had no expectation of actually landing the role - I thought the experience would be good for me, and in a few days, they'd call me and thank me for coming out. Instead, the Director asked me to "wait over there" (a table in the corner of the room) along with a few other hopefuls while the Production Team had a short "huddle". A few minutes later, he walked over to us, dropped his hand on my shoulder and said, "Scott, we'd like to offer you the role of Nanki-Poo". After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I said, "Yes, I'd be happy to accept it!". "Great!" he replied ... "Can you stay? Rehearsal starts in 10 minutes!" ... second jaw-dropping moment of the night!! I stammered out a yes, and headed outside to make a few jubilant phone calls before coming back in to get started.

Over the next few months, I worked very closely with George Corwin, former UVic Professor of Music and music director for the show. With his guidance and expertise, I was able to "find" my voice. (Coincidentally, we took to the stage at the McPherson Playhouse a year ago to the day of this posting) I am very grateful to the entire cast and crew of that show in particular for taking me in, and making me feel so very much at home. I continue to perform with this Company whenever I can, and I have the utmost of respect for their players.

Since "The Mikado", I have performed in another half-dozen (no I'm not kidding!!) shows, in both principal and chorus roles. Most recently, I have found myself rehearsing 3 of the 6 shows listed below at the same time. I have learned that rehearsing 3 shows at once is too much ... I've more or less lived at rehearsal halls and theatres since the beginning of January this year. "Carmen" closed at the end of February, and "HMS Pinafore" wrapped up just yesterday, so now I find myself in just one show - "Brigadoon" ... that is, until summer auditions start ;-)

"Gone With The Wine" (Peninsula Players)
"Another British Music Hall" (Victoria Gilbert and Sullivan Society)
"The Flying Dutchman" (Pacific Opera Victoria)
"Carmen" (Pacific Opera Victoria)
"HMS Pinafore - concert version" (Victoria Gilbert and Sullivan Society)
"Brigadoon" - (Victoria Operatic Society)


There we have it folks - the performance has come to an end, and the curtain drops (hopefully while the audience is still clapping, of course) ... not a "Wow!! That was amazing!!!" end to the "Second Act", tho (sorry if I mislead you). I do have one more addition to this "show" tho ... call it an encore if you will:

Early in this post, I did say that I was "hooked", right? Maybe the picture below will give you an idea to the extent:



This tattoo lives on the outside of my left thigh now - a proud monument to my love of (and addiction to) the dramatic arts :-) As always, Dear Reader, thank you for visiting my corner of cyberspace ... I will endeavor to keep this Blog as current as time permits between performances, rehearsals, and vocal coachings. In the meantime, may all your endings be happy ones ... Toi Toi Toi!

No comments: