Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Hot enough for ya?

I know, I know ... we've all heard that question so much in the last couple of days that we all want to shoot the next person who says it! The heat has definitely had an impact on my activities this morning - I've spent a good chunk of time this AM trying to keep my cats cool! The process has involved wiping the cats down with wet towels, wrapping ice packs up in towels and getting the cat(s) to lie on the ice pack, and even (unfortunately for them) a quick dip in a tub full of water. Gryphen has a real hang-up with getting bathed, but today he didn't kick up too much of a fuss. Gandolph, on the other hand, fought rather gamely to avoid the water - he even bit my finger! If only they knew it was for their own good... Michelle and I have been doing our level best to stay cool, as well, with limited success. As I type, I'm sitting here wearing a soaking wet t-shirt (recently dipped in a tub of cool water), trying to avoid melting in front of the computer keyboard.

Yesterday's shift on the bus was a bit of an eye-opener for me ... I kinda get why a lot of the senior guys take nights during the summer. In spite of the lateness of the hour, the work I did yesterday was easier than some of the daytime stuff that I've been through recently. More importantly, things really cooled off on the bus after about 8:00PM or so - that last 4 hours of the shift was downright pleasant, at least as far as temperature was concerned. Tonight will be more of the same for me - starting at 4:30, and not done till the wee hours. Oh well - at least it's Friday for me. Am I ever looking forward to a day off tomorrow!

This morning's run was another Breakwater ... the first 10 km were actually quite pleasant - I made a point of drinking lots of water during the run, and took it very easy, pace-wise. There was a bit of breeze coming off the water, and the air was fresh. In spite of all that, the heat took its toll, and by the time I hit the final mark, I was feeling more like I had just finished a heavy hill workout, followed by wind sprints for fun! It was supposed to be an easy run - next time, I'll cut it shorter! In the meantime, I have sleeping cats to check on, and lunch to prepare. 'Till the next time...

No comments: