Saturday, July 7, 2007

What a difference a day makes...

Wow - like the title says... yesterday, work was sooooo busy - for a solid 4 1/2 hour portion of the almost-8 hour shift, I didn't have the time to even leave the bus. I managed to get out of the seat for about 30 seconds or so each hour, but that was it. Whew! What a tough day - am I ever glad that's over. I was too tired when I got home last night to even post - in bed just after 10 PM (early for me) and dead to the world all of 30 seconds after my head hit the pillow. And, for the record, no, I didn't go for a run after work!

Today was comprised of one round trip and a bit on the 14 (which was totally dead) and then a few rounds on the 8, with almost 1/2 an hour of paid downtime between the two different routes. The route 8 is a nice easy sleeper of a route (at least it was for me today - I haven't driven it more than a couple of times previously). After work, I dropped by to visit with Michelle for a little while. She delivers pizza for Pizza Hut, and I spent a couple of hours riding shotgun with her. After a while, I succumbed to the temptation and ordered a personal pizza. OMG! I haven't eaten pizza in quite a while (can't remember the last time). It was so good! I shouldn't allow myself to get into the habit, though - I've got a marathon coming up this fall, and I can't really afford to carry around any extra "pizza pounds" as I slog around a 42.2 km course!

Speaking of running, I went out this AM for a great 13.3 km relaxed run. I was gone for just a shade under an hour, and thoroughly enjoyed it. For me, runs like the one I had today are the reason that I keep running. Everything worked well, the weather was gorgeous, and I even paced a fellow for about 1.5 km while we chatted about this and that. The most interesting thing about this guy was that he was running barefoot! OK - he was wearing something on his feet - I believe he called them paddle shoes. He said that he picked them up at Mountain Equipment Co-Op - check them out here. He said that he only wears them for protection from rocks and glass - basically to keep from cutting his feet. No cushioning or support whatsoever! Admittedly, his running gait was entirely different than my own, but he appeared to be quite comfortable and relaxed. If you're interested, check out this website for more info on barefoot running. As for me, I'll stick with my Adistars, thank you very much!

As always, thanks for stopping by ... I'll try to make it worth your while ;-)

No comments: